Thursday, June 11, 2009

Meeting the Cast & Director of "Pontypool"

Wednesday afternoon, I became aware of a screening of the Canadian thriller movie, Pontypool, at a local Guelph theatre. The special thing about this screening is that cast & director of this film were doing a Q&A following the showing of the movie, and following that...a meet and greet with the director and 3 actors!

The Canadian director, Bruce McDonald, (we went to same the high school, different times however) is known for directing "Roadkill", "Hard Core Logo", and "Picture Claire". He's also done some television work, directing "Degrassi; TNG", "Queer as Folk", and "ReGenesis". He has a strong cult-following in Canada, for his fantastic work.

The cast of Pontypool are Stephen McHattie, Lisa Houle, and Georgina Reilly, all of which were to be at this screening. Stephen McHattie, (Canadian) is the star of the film and is well-known throughout Hollywood. You may not know the name, but you will recognize his face! McHattie has appeared in several movies and tv shows. "300", "Watchmen", and "Seinfeld" just to name a few. Lisa Houle, McHattie's wife, co-stars in Pontypool, and has been in tv mostly. "Emily of New Moon", "Seinfeld", and "Due South" are some of her credits.

Houle & McHattie





Georgina Reilly is also in this movie. Her credits include "The Dark Room" and "Beautiful People".

So, around 5ish, after searching the internet for something to print off that would be suitable to have signed, since I didn't have the poster or book (that the movie is based on), I found an image that would be good to get signed. It's one of the movie posters for the film. So after a quick jump-drive image transfer, I was off to the local Walmart's photolab.

After body-checking my way to a print machine, I was able to print off my 8x10 of Pontypool. I swear to God, there are always people just hovering around those print machines, just to have somewhere to be! One person on the machine, 5 others watching what the one person is doing.

With my 8x10 in hand (5 bucks spent), I picked up my wife and we headed to the Bookshelf cinema to grab out tickets, before it sold out. It's not everyday Guelph gets a treat like this! With tickets in hand (20 bucks spent), we went to secure a couple of seats. There were alot of people in this indie theatre, but I hesitate to say it was a 'sell-out'. It was about 5 minutes before the start of the movie, when I went out to see what the candy-counter offered...with my 8x10 and Sharpie in tow, just in case! When I stepped out of the theatre, I saw Bruce "I always wear a cowboy hat" McDonald and Stephen McHattie talking to a couple of fans.

"Yes". All autograph seekers know the adrenline rush you get, when you see the celebrity you're looking for...is right there!

After patiently waiting for the conversation to end, I never interrupt, Stephen McHattie noticed me and I asked him for his autograph nicely. He obliged, coming over to me, and taking my Sharpie and 8x10. He looked at it for few seconds, not really recognizing what it was...I guess. At this time, I told him; "i thought you were great in '300'" which is true, as '300' is an all-time favorite of mine! He said thanks, and began to inscribe "All the best, Stephen McHattie". I wasn't sure why he hesitated to sign, I just figure he thought I would ask him to personalize it...but regardless, he signed it kindly and I was on my way on with this Pontypool picture!

After I thanked Stephen for signing my picture, I turned my attention to director Bruce McDonald, for his autograph. I asked him for his autograph, which he smiled and said "Sure" in response. I gave him my 8x10 and Sharpie, and he asked where I got this?

Now, most autograph seekers know, when most celebrities ask where did you get this? or what is this from?...means chances are, they're not going to sign the image because of various reasons. Most reasons include copyright issues...printing an image, without permission.

I responded to Bruce, by saying "It's one of 3 Pontypool posters I found today while searching Google, for something for you to sign". He thought it was cool, and talked about the other posters for the movie. I told him, that my wife and I chose this one because it was the only one without "blood"! We discussed the posters further, as he signed my 8x10...and drew a picture beside his autograph! How cool is that?!! I thanked him for his time, and for coming to Guelph for this screening. He, in turn, thanked me and asked me my name. After shaking hands with Bruce, I went back to the theatre to show my prize to Corinna...and to watch the movie!

After Corinna said that she knew what was taking me so long, a Bookshelf employee came into the theatre, and introduced Bruce McDonald and Stephen McHattie to the audience. I got kinda worried, as the 2 actresses who were supposed to attend, weren't there. McDonald spoke of the movie briefly, then said there will be a Q&A afterwards, and finally introduced his film. The film started.

It's good. Very good, in fact. I personally thought, it was going to be a 'zombie-horror' movie. It isn't. In my opinion, it's a intense pyschological thriller. McHattie and Houle are fantastic in it, and Reilly is intense in her demanding role. That's all I want to offer about the film itself, other than...see it, you'll thank me!

After the showing, an Bookshelf introduced Bruce McDonald and Stephen McHattie for the Q&A. Much to my delight, Lisa Houle and Georgina Reilly also appeared for the session!

"Yes", now I had the chance to get all of the cast on my 8x10...for this fantastic movie!

After an hour long Q&A session, in which I asked Bruce about how much freedom he gave his actors with "ad-libbing", the Bookshelf employee invited the attendees and cast into the Bookshelf's 'eBar' restaurant for drinks and conversion. How cool is that?!!

After moving into the eBar, Corinna said to try to get their autographs quickly, as it was getting late for us. I approached Lisa Houle first, and asked her for her autograph nicely. She responded wonderfully! I wish every celebrity was a great as she was! She looked at the picture, and like Stephen & Bruce prior, really checked it out before putting pen to paper! We chatted about the film, and where I got the picture of Pontypool...she was really personable about the whole thing! After giving me back my 8x10, she asked for it back...to write one of her lines from the movie on it! Beside her autograph, she wrote "Shut up or die!"...her character's great line in the climax of the movie! She also spoke of the sequel being in the works!

Simply awesome, that's all I can say about asking Lisa Houle for her autograph!

After thanking her, a million times, for her time...I decided to try to get Georgina Reilly's autograph, to complete the quartet of celebs in the house. The problem was this...a guy looked like he was carrying on a deep conversion with Georgina, that he wasn't going to let anyone interrupt...which is fine. So my wife and I sat down for about 5 minutes, before she reminded me of the late hour and to make my move! I approached Georgina, and thankfully her conversion ended (because of me? I'm not sure!) and I asked her for her autograph. He glowingly said yes, and did what the previously three did...check out my picture. She asked where it was from? And I told her about searching the internet, and she commented on how cool it was because of the images and wording, and asked if i thought it was her hand pictured in the 8x10! She then asked where i wanted her to sign it, then commented on how cool the other cast members autographs were! She then put pen to paper in my desired spot, and signed "George". She then turned to me and said "I signed George, because that's what everybody calls me!" Cool enough for me! I then thanked her for her autograph and her time, and went to find my wife...who was waiting to go home.

Corinna said "I really, really like it. It was better than what I thought was going be", meaning she hates zombie-movies, and this was far from a zombie-movie. She went on to say it was the best Canadian movie she's seen.

Me too.

The night was awesome, I really don't know whatelse to say! Other than thank you to the Bookshelf and their staff, Bruce McDonald, Stephen McHattie, Lisa Houle, Georgina 'George' Reilly, and to my wife (for doing this all, at the last possible minute).

Here's the Pontypool poster 8x10;




Thanks for the read,
Chris

PS- Since, the night was an 'intimate' session, with some drinks being had, Corinna and I decided not to ask for 'pictures with the cast'. So, there is personal pictures of the event.

PS the sequel- I'll be posting our experiences with Kevin 'Silent Bob' Smith in the next 24-48 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment