Monday, June 15, 2009

Crossing paths with Crosby (Part Two)

Welcome back readers!

I hope you enjoyed my last blog entry, this one should be more entertaining! This blog entry will conclude my adventures trying to get Sidney Crosby's autograph. I hope you'll enjoy it!













Corinna and I exchanged gifts for Christmas, back in December 2004. I remember that year I got her tickets to see Bon Jovi. Not bad, eh ladies?! Anyways, she had gotten me a Sidney Crosby Rimouski Oceanic jersey, which I loved immediately! As we sat there, in her parents living room, I put that dark blue #87 jersey on for the first time! She said it looks great! Then she said something that would stick with for long time; "Imagine if we got it signed?". Little did she know, the events that would happen because of those 6 words. Of note, I never put that jersey on again.

Fast forward three months, and some travel planning.

In March 2005, Corinna and I decided to go to eastern Quebec, to see Sidney Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic play 2 games, over the span of a weekend. This was not going to be an easy drive. We loaded up my Grand Am Thursday night and left at 11pm, bound for Rimouski. Remember, this is March...the weather isn't always nice in Quebec during March for driving. However, the highways were in terrific shape, considering a blizzard blew through only 24 hours earlier! We arrived in Rimouski 10 hours later, and went to our hotel. We checked in around 9ish, and went for a nap (Corinna didn't really need one, as she slept basically the whole drive!). After a power nap, I gathered up my Crosby items I wanted signed, and we decided to go drive around the small city of Rimouski. The city is very historic, and is beautifully situated at the mouth of the St. Lawrence river. We came upon the "Colisee" where the Oceanic play, and went in to pick up our tickets for the next two games. The only tickets left for the rest of the season were standing room only, however there isn't a bad spot in the old arena. We felt lucky to get tickets regardless! After seeing more sights around the city, and eating...it was game time.

We arrived early Friday, to secure a good spot in the arena. I brought my Crosby jersey and a newspaper article that I had 'plaked' to get signed. We also brought our trusty camera to take some shots, and hopefully one with Sid...as we didn't think of a camera, the first time we met him in Kitchener. The game was a blow out. The Oceanic dominated, and I mean dominated. I beleive the final was 11-2 or something close like that. Crosby has 8 points himself. EIGHT POINTS! But, I also need to mention the people. The crowd loved Crosby. No, that's an understatement. The second he was on the ice, electricity shot through the Colisee...and everybody was feeding on it. Whenever he scored or got an assist, the crowd went haywire when the announcer spoke Crosby's name. They simply adored him, and showed it wonderfully. I haven't seen that kind of loving adoration, since Doug Gilmour's time in Toronto. Every single person in the house, was proud of him. It was special to be apart of. Both Corinna and I kept smiling throughout the game, just at the energy of the crowd. Rimouski's theme song, which was played whenever they scored, still echoes in my head today.

After the game, we made our way down to the Oceanic dressing room, hoping for an autograph (or hopefully two!) from Sid. There was a line that formed outside the entrance to the dressing room, and the players slowly began to leave. We waited about 10th or 11th in line, for Crosby to come out. Then he appeared. I was nervous that he might blow everybody off, since there were alot of fans. My fears were quashed immediately. He mentioned to someone, that he has to sign for everyone and would catch up later. How awesome is that?!!

The line was a little chaotic, but we finally made out way to Sidney Crosby, for the second time in our lives. We said hello and that we travelled from Guelph to watch him play, which he simply smiled at. He had his own black Sharpie in hand, and I asked him to use my blue Sharpie to sign my jersey, which he took and signed my jersey beautifully. I showed him my plak/newspaper article, which he placed his signature on...with not a problem. Just like that, we had 2 more Crosby autographs...and saw him play the game of his life! Corinna asked him if we could took a picture with him. He said sure, and we pressed in tight, as it was very crowded in the entrance area. We took a couple of shots, and turned to Crosby and thanked him for his time.

We stepped away, for the rest of the line to carry on. I was in seventh heaven, checking out my autographed items! Corinna brought me back to Earth. Our pictures weren't very good. The pictures were extreme close-ups, and weren't very good! Actually, Corinna and Sid look good, it was my mug that ruined the shot!

Here's the evidence;













We decided, or I begged her, to ask for another picture with him, once he was finished signing for his fans. Of course she agreed, seeing my ugly mug! We decided to go outside, bad move, to catch him by his truck. Normally I recommend this for meeting most hockey players, however in Rimouski during winter, it's a bad idea. It was at least -25 outside of the Colisee that night, without the wind! Thankfully, Sid came out quickly. We politely asked him if we could get another picture with him, as the other one didn't really turn out. He apologized about that, and said sure. This superstar was too nice! We quickly got in position, tried to stop shivering, and took another picture with Sidney Crosby. This photo, turned out much better. However, it is just a little strange. When the 3 of us stood beside eachother, I went to place my arm over Crosby's shoulder, which he kind of pulled away from! Remember in my previous posting I thought he was shy...this confirmed it! Regardless, we got a 'cool' shot outside the Colisee, in Rimouski, with the best junior player on the planet.

Here's the outside shot;













Notice my 'plak' and jersey in the bag, both signed!

This was turning out to be a fanastic weekend. We returned to our hotel for a late dinner, and some much-needed sleep. Saturday, March 12th, started with us driving around the city, just checking things out. We saw alot of beautiful churches and riverside buildings. Other than being super-cold, we really enjoyed the city. Soon, it was time to go the Colisee, to watch Crosby play. We arrived early, again to grab a decent spot to watch the game. The game was another Oceanic blow out. The game finished 12-5, with Sidney Crosby garnering 7 points. SEVEN POINTS!

In the two games, we saw him play back-to-back, he had 15 points. I've never seen production like that before, or since...at any level of hockey.

I was thinking, Gretzky just might be right...this could be the kid to break his records! He was simply magnificent to watch.

After the game, we went back to our hotel..which was situated right on the beautiful St. Lawrence river. Corinna mentioned she wanted to go and walk along the river's walkway. We strolled down to the river's walkway, and started to throw snowballs in the half frozen river! Did I mention that this was about midnight, and 30 below?! Anyways, little did Corinna know, I had alterior plans to our little walk. As she was throwing snowballs, she slipped in the snow! When she stood up, she turned to see me, on bended knee with an engagement ring! I proposed, and she accepted!

Readers, this had become the greatest weekend of my life!

In September 2006, we were married. Our honeymoon, also had a Crosby connection! Earlier that summer, I bought a few packs of 'SP Authentic' hockey cards, and pulled a Sidney Crosby autographed game-used patch hockey card. This super rare card, numbered out of 99, was going to pay for my honeymoon! I sold the 'Future Watch' card for $2000 American to a private collector in California. With that money, once converted, we bought and paid for our honeymoon in Cayo-Coco, Cuba!

Since then, we haven't seen Sidney Crosby in person, but have become huge fans of his. When he finally lifted the Stanley Cup, we both celebrated and were proud of him. He deserved it, in our opinion.

Thanks Sid, for everything.


















And thanks for another read.

Chris

Ps- My Kevin Smith adventure will be written soon. My next autograph adventure will take place this Thursday, as I try to get Larry Walker's autograph! Don't know who Walker is? Ask any baseball fan, and they'll tell you...he's the best Canadian baseball player! I'll post my results soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment