Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Going to the Hall

Thanks for returning!

This adventure, was an fairly easy one, comparing it to my Kevin Smith ordeal! But, this was an autograph trip, most collectors dream about!

Here we go, once again!











Way back in February, the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame (YES, Canada has a baseball HOF too!) announced their 2009 inductees. I was pleased to see, in my opinion, the greatest Canadian ball player was amongst the list. Larry Walker was given his due, and was going to St. Mary's! St. Mary's, in case you didn't know, is the home to the Canadian Baseball HOF. Also, being inducted was Ernie Whitt, Bernie Soulliere, and the late, Roy 'Doc' Miller.

Walker, a true five-tool player whose career spanned 17 seasons, leads all Canadians in virtually every offensive career category, amassing 383 homeruns, 62 triples and 471 doubles among his 2,160 career hits, while stealing 230 bases along the way. The five-time All-Star and 1997 National League MVP, who also won seven Gold Glove awards and three batting titles along the way, compiled a career .313 batting average and .565 slugging percentage, 15th best in major league history. I always admired him as both a player and as an autograph signer. You see, most baseball players are extremely difficult athletes to get to sign, as most collectors would agree. However, all collecors know that hockey players are the best for autographing...and Walker was more like a hockey player, than baseball player when it came to his signing habits. It could also be a Canadian thing, too!

Whitt, whose 1,218 games played in a Toronto Blue Jays uniform ranks fourth all-time, swung a big bat as well, knocking 131 homers among his 888 Blue Jay hits. Always a fan-favourite in Toronto, he eventually returned to the Blue Jays organization as a coach for a dozen more years, including the last four seasons with the major league club. Whitt was always a personal favorite of mine as a child, as he was always the catcher whenever my dad took me to old Exhibition Stadium.

Soulliere, who has helped make Windsor, Ontario one of Canada's true baseball hotbeds, has been volunteering behind the scenes for more than 40 years in amateur baseball circles as well as with numerous provincial and national teams.

Miller, whose professional career began in 1903 had his major league debut with the Chicago Cubs in 1910, and played with Boston, Philadelphia and Cincinnati during his five-year stint. His .295 career batting average, which is fourth all-time for Canadians, included 507 hits in 1,717 at bats over 557 games. Miller's breakout year was 1911, when he led the National League with 192 hits, and his .333 batting average fell one point shy of winning the NL batting title that was captured by Honus Wagner (.334). Most would argue that, until Ferguson Jenkins came along, that Miller was the best Canadian player of all.

With all that said, the only real person I wanted an autograph from, was indeed Larry Walker. I also thought of possibly taking a photo with Whitt, as I had an autograph from him previously. I told Corinna of the announcement, which she mentioned to remind her when the snow melted!

Fast forward to this past week, I kept touch with the Hall's upcoming activities concerning the induction. After visiting their website, Facebook page, and getting an email inviting us to the Hall, I found out there was to be an 'Celebrity Softball Game' on Thursday. The celebrities included some local talent, from tv and radio, and more importantly Canadian pitcher Ferguson Jenkins. For those of you who don't know who Fergie is, he is the greatest Canadian pitcher of all time, and is inducted in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. I've had the pleasure of meeting Fergie previously, and asking him for an autograph. Truth be told, I've gotten Fergie twice...once on a Cy Young winners baseball, and most recently on a official HOF baseball. I figured if Fergie was to appear, I'd ask for an photo with the legend, instead of another autograph. No point on being super-greedy here!

The Celeb game was to take place on the Hall's grounds, at one of their 3 ball fields, with the inductees taking part as coaches. So, the seed was planted on when and where I could meet Walker, Whitt, and Jenkins. The plan ended up being this; when Corinna arrived home, she'd get changed, and we'd leave for St. Mary's almost immediately afterards. We'd drive up to St. Mary's, grab a bite on the road, arrive at the Hall, check out the celeb game, and hopefully catch up with Walker et al.

With the plan set, I needed something for Walker to sign. I already had an Official MLB Rawlings baseball, so I figured I'd ask him to sign it on the sweetspot. I also decided that I would like an 8x10 signed if possible. So, where to look? I decided to try Frozen Pond in Toronto, because they do sell unsigned 8x10's, and since I'd be driving by coming from Newmarket. When I arrived at Frozen Pond, I was surprised that they did not have any Walker 8x10's. In fact, they didn't have Jenkins or Whitt either. Strange, since they're a Canadian shop. Moving on, I came home empty handed, planning on just have Walker sign my ball, giving up on the 8x10 idea.

When Thursday arrived, we got going after Corinna got home from work. On the drive up, we talked about the crowd should be slim, since the induction ceremony was on Saturday and most people would be in town for that, instead of the celeb softball game. We arrived in beautiful St. Mary's, a small town in South Western Ontario, around 6:15pm. The game was to start at 7, so we made good time. We got to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame, and parked on the grounds. Together, we walked up to the Hall, and we looked around the grounds for Walker et al, unsuccessfully. However, we spotted the (large) beer tent, and spotted the ball field the game was to be held on. After one final looksy for the inductees, I mentioned to Corinna that I wanted to go in the Hall to take a look around. Once I walked in, I automatically switched into autograph mode! The person I spotted inside the Hall, was Walker himself! He was being shown around the Hall, with his family and the other inductees, by Hall employees. YES! I quickly went into my bag, and grabbed my ball and pen for Larry Walker to sign. Corinna stood nearby, checking out the Hall's many exhibits. Once the tour concluded, Walker was walked outside passing me. I quickly spoke "Larry, could I get your autograph?", with no repsonse from Larry. Corinna quickly spoke to me "He didn't hear you, you're spoeaking to softly!!". For those of you who know me...that was weird, because quiet I'm not!

Corinna and I followed Walker outside, where I asked him again...with his attention. Now, Walker is a big man, and is kind of intimidating to approach, so I was nervous that he might say no...considering his family was with him too. I also noticed about 4 or 5 other autograph seekers waiting outside, watching my interaction with him...also to see if he'd sign! When I asked him this time, he said "Sure". I handed him my ball and pen, and he put the ball close to his body to sign it. I saw he wasn't about to sign the sweetspot, and I quickly interrupted him by speaking "Oh, could you sign the sweetspot?!", he stopped and rolled the ball to the sweetspot, and mentioned "You gotta tell me sweetspot!". He placed his signature beatifully on the sweetspot, which I thanked him for. I asked him for a photo with him, once he finished signing for the others that gathered around, which he agreed to.














After he signed a couple of autographs, he turned to me and nodded for the picture. Corinna got in place, pointed our camera, and said "smile!". She took a nice picture of the new Hall of famer and I, on the steps of the Hall. I was very happy at that moment. I finally got the autograph of my favourite Canadian baseball player, and just got a photo with him too!















I noticed Whitt hadn't come out of the Hall, so we went in to see where he was. Upon entry to the Hall, there is a small kiosk where they sell souvenirs. I saw that they had an Team Canada 8x10 photo of Larry Walker for sale, which I asked Corinna if she should get signed, if I bought it. She said sure. It's been awhile since she's asked for an autograph! After buying the 8x10 for 5 bucks, I gave Corinna my Sharpie and the newly purchased photo, and she went outside to asked Walker for an autograph.

She went up to Walker, who was in conversation with an elderly lady, and patiently waited. After he finished up with the lady, he walked away, not noticing Corinna! Corinna followed him, looking worried! Thankfully, someone asked Walker for an autograph, which Corinna made herself seen and also asked for one too!













Larry signed for Corinna, placing a large autograph on the Team Canada 8x10. Success for Corinna!


















After Corinna's personal autograph adventure, we spotted Ernie Whitt coming out of the Hall. He was signing a few autographs for people, as I asked Corinna if she would take a photo, she said that she wanted in the picture too, as she was a Whitt fan growing up too! So we asked a Hall employee to take our photo, then asked Ernie if we could take a photo together? He was more than gracious, saying yes! We posed for the pictured, with this new Hall of Famer, on the step of the Hall. Afterwards, we thanked him, and he continued to sign for fans.














Corinna and I decided to go inside the beer tent, not for a beer, just to sit down for a second, so I could put my stuff away! When we entered, Corinna's sharp eye (she's known for spotting celebrities!) spotted Fergie Jenkins sitting at a table with some friends. So, we sat down at the next table! I mentioned to Corinna, that I wanted a picture with Fergie, but didn't want to ask him while was with friends. I considered it kind of rude, to interupt private time. My feeling, wasn't shared with others apparently, as other fans came right up to Fergie asking for an autograph. Fergie did sign for people, while sitting down. However, I just couldn't bug him while he had a beer with buddies. I got up to find a washroom, and Corinna stayed behind to keep an eye on our things.

When I got back to our table, Corinna spoke "Quick ask him!". When I turned, Fergie was getting up to go! I quickly asked him for a picture together, as Corinna got the camera ready, and Fergie agreed. I stood with the legend, as Corinna took our picture! I thanked him kindly afterwards.













Within the span of 15 minutes, everything that I planned on doing, was accomplished.

As everyone there, started moving towards the game, Corinna and I went back to the Hall to properly look around the exhibits. After seeing a game-used Babe Ruth bat, the Cy Young award that Jenkins won, and the actual homeplate Joe Carter touched when he hit the World Series winning homerun, we decided to go home. Home was pretty far, and it looked like rain, so we skipped the celeb game. We stopped at a local ice cream shop, and got a couple cones to celebrate our successes!

About 15 minutes outside of St. Mary's, it started to rain!

This was one of the coolest autograph adventures we had recently, simply because of how easily accessable the players were! Thanks to the CBHOF, Larry Walker, Ernie Whitt, and Fergie Jenkins for everything. Special thanks, as always, to my beautiful wife, Corinna...who got her hands 'dirty' on this adventure with Larry Walker!

And again, thanks to you, for your time reading my latest posting!

Until next time,
Chris

Ps- Please consider leaving a comment, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job getting Larry Walker. I was at the HOF for the induction ceremony. I received Larry's signature on a ball (yes, sweetspot) and Ernie Whitt on his book "Catch". Had my picture taken with Ernie Whitt. I also got Fergie Jenkins to sign a Cubs hat that I picked up for 50 cents in a thrift store. Also got Paul Beeston and Pat Gillick on a 1993 Jays yearbook cover. Pretty good haul for the day. And got the Expos Jim Fanning as well. The HOF charged each person $10 for an autograph of everyone present, and an additional 10 next time through the line. I wanted to get Larry again on a photo or a card, but I was too hot from standing in line.
    You and I have similar interests, although you might be a bit more hard-core than me. Anyway if you want to chat or meet up some time let me know. I live in Waterloo.
    anthony.m.oneill@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete