Friday, January 13, 2012

My Best of 2011!

So, 2011 was a great year for autographing for my collection!

There were more hits, than misses!

And I've decided to make a "Top 10 List" to show the highlights of my 2011 autograph adventures!

Let's get right to it!

"My Best of 2011!"
















10: Stevie Johnson helmet

In February, the young Buffalo Bills wide reciever made an appearance at Wegz, in Woodbridge, Ont. I was fortunate enough to win this awesome full size Buffalo Bills helmet and have him sign it, at the sports bar that day! That was one fo the best days this past year, as I got to play "Why So Serious!" himself in a Madden 11 video game challenge! He also signed photos and a football for me. Later in the year, I got to meet SJ13 again, and he was kind enough to sign a Bills jersey for me, adding his "Why So Serious!" inscription to it! Stevie Johnson is a favourite in my home! Go Bills!
















9: Corey Perry jersey

Being a Guelph Storm fan, I hated Corey Perry in his OHL days as a London Knight! But, love him or hate him...he's a great hockey player, and a future Hall of Famer! Having won a Memorial Cup ring, World Junior Championship Gold Medal, Olympic Gold Medal, Hart Trophy (NHL MVP), and a Stanley Cup ring...he's a proven winner! When he appeared at AJ's this past summer, my wife Corinna, got a Ducks jersey signed for me. He added "2010 NHL MVP" as a special inscription, to the jersey!


















8: Gale Sayers mini helmet

One of the greatest NFL running backs of all time, made a rare appearance in Novi, Michigan this past June, and Corinna and I decided to make a day trip to meet "The Kansas Comet" and do some shopping! He was incredibly nice, and was happy to meet some Canadian fans! Sayers was kind enough to add his HOF 77 inscription for no charge, to my Chicago Bears throwback mini helmet!

















7: Matthew Stafford helmet

This autographed full sized helmet's story was so cool...I blogged the event! Matt Stafford, who threw for over 5000 yards this past season, appeared at Wegz in February. One of my best friends, Richard, won the chance to play Matt in a game of Madden 11, and recieved many prizes including this Detroit Lions helmet, which Stafford autographed! Richard, being the guy who he is, gave the helmet to me...and is one of my best football signed items! Thanks again Richard!

















6: Thurman Thomas jersey

If you know me...you know I'm a Buffalo Bills fanatic! So, when Thurman Thomas made an appearance in Rochester, NY in early Novmeber...we were there! Actually, Corinna and I were 2nd and 3rd in line for the Bills legend! I had Thomas sign a Bills jersey for me, and Corinna got a jersey done for my friend Ernie (who never seems to travel for autographs!), and I got the jersey authenticated through JSA afterwards (a 1st for me using this service). It was great to see one of my all time favourite Hall of Fame Buffalo Bills! Go Bills!


















5: Jim Kelly 16x20

Let's keep the Bills connection going! There are many Bills players that are among my favourites...Lee Evans, Marshawn Lynch, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Fred Jackson, Stevie "Why So Serious" Johnson...just to name a few! But I do have one favourite, above and beyond all NFL football players...the legendary master of the K-Gun offense; Jim Kelly! Jim made a rare Toronto appearance, at a clothing store in November to promote the Bills in Toronto series that was happening the next day (they won that game!). A few of my good friends made the trip out to meet the great Hall of Fame quarterback! I was lucky enough to recieve a signed giveaway card, a Bills mini helmet...and a highlight of my autograph collection; a 16x20 of Jim, personalized to my family! Thanks to Ryan for the image! Go Bills!


















4: Martin Brodeur McFarlane

Late last year, Martin Brodeur made his first Toronto autograph appearance in a few years...and I was fortunate enough to work with him! AJ's Sportsworld brought the legendary goalie, along with Ilya Kovalchuk, in for a signing...and I helped with the event. In the back of store, during the private signing, I was privy enough to hear many awesome stories, and see Marty sign many fantastic items! I was lucky enough to have Marty sign a 12" McFarlane base for my private collection. It's now a highlight of my autographed McFarlane figures!

















3: Dick Butkis Mini helmet

In September, Corinna and I celebrated 5 years of marriage! We visited Las Vegas, for the 2nd time, and had an awesome time! We saw a few shows, including Penn & Teller! Corinna actually was a part of the show, and was brought up on stage! Afterwards we got to meet the magicians and get photos with them! Of course we got multiple autographs from the duo! But the highlight of the vacation, when it comes to autographs, was when we visited Field Of Dreams, inside of Caesar's Palace. This was our 2nd time to the store. The 1st visit resulted in Pete Rose's autograph...this new visit resulted in an legend's autograph! Dick Butkus, one of the greatest football players of all time, was signing autographs this day! I was lucky enough to sit down with the Hall of Famer, and talk Buffalo Bills football with him for about 5 minutes! Afterwards, he signed a Chicago Bears throwback mini helmet, and added 2 inscriptions...his "HOF 79" and "Monster of the Midway"! It really is an incredible piece! If you're ever in Vegas...go and meet this terrific man!
















2: Bobby Orr McFarlane

What a morning this was! Another awesome story, that was blogged about! In fact...it was my last blog of 2011! Please take a few moments, after this entry to check out the story! I got to meet the greatest defenseman of all time, with my friends Richard and Ernie, and have #4 autograph a 12" McFarlane base for me! The Bobby Orr autograph I recieved, that August morning, is one of the best autograph I own today! It's one of first I mention, everytime someone asks me "Who are some of the best autographs you have?"

















1: Jerry Rice helmet

In February, Corinna and I, along with Ernie and his wife, Michelle...attended a Super Bowl viewing party in Toronto. The highlight of the party was that it was hosted by the legendary, Hall of Famer, wide-reciever Jerry Rice! Although the 3 time Super Bowl champion was abit of a toughie, when it came to autographs that day, I was lucky enough to get 2 autographs from him. One on a football...and the 2nd on an awesome San Francisco 49ers full size helmet! Ernie actually recieved 3 autographs from him; a jersey, football, and mini helmet! This autographed helmet, which includes his #80, is priceless to me. To have an signed helmet, by the greatest wide reciever of all time, is the highlight of my 2011!














Thanks for the read! More to come!

Thanks to Richard, Ryan, Ernie, Bill, and my beautiful & loving wife Corinna for their help this past year with signings! Hopefully 2012 will be just as rewarding to everyone in the hobby!

Comments welcome, just leave your name!

All the best!
C

2 comments:

  1. Beauty Rice helmet my Fav from last year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list you put together. Being a Brodeur collector, I'm in awe of your signed McFarlane. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete