Sunday, July 4, 2010

Autograph Questions With...Logan Couture

Recently...

My family and I went to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame celebrity charity softball game, to meet Paul Quantrill and Roberto Alomar. I met up with a father and son duo, who collect autographs. The son, Chris, asked if I brought anything for Logan Couture to sign? My heart sank. I didn't even know that the San Jose Sharks' 2007 first round pick was going to be at the event. His autograph would've been a nice addition to my collection. Swing and a miss.

Let me tell you about the hot prospect.

In May of 2005, Couture was drafted by the Ottawa 67's 12th overall in the 2005 OHL Priority Draft. Couture scored at a point-per-game pace as a rookie with 64 points in 65 games in 2005–06, third in league rookie scoring behind John Tavares and Sergei Kostitsyn.














The next season, in 2005–06, Couture was added to the OHL roster for the 2006 ADT Canada-Russia Challenge, replacing Jordan Staal, who was retained by Pittsburgh Penguins. He was also selected to play for the Eastern Conference in the 2007 OHL All-Star Game, winning the shooting accuracy competition.

After completing his second OHL season improving to 78 points in 54 games, Couture was drafted 9th overall by the San Jose Sharks in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.


















Returning to the 67's in 2007–08, Couture's production dipped to 58 points in 51 games, his lowest major junior total, due to two concussions. He had suffered the first concussion midway through the season on December 16, 2007, after receiving an open-ice hit from Tim Billingsley in a game against the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors. He had also been named to the 2008 OHL All-Star Game, but was replaced by Michael Swift of the Niagara IceDogs due to the injury.

The next season, in 2008–09 season he finished the season in 9th place in league scoring with 39 goals and 48 assists for 87 points in 62 games. He also appeared in the 2009 OHL All-Star Game. Near the end of the season, he was named OHL Player of the Week on March 16, 2009, following an 8-point performance in 3 games.













On October 25, 2009, Couture made his NHL debut against the Philadelphia Flyers. He later scored his first NHL goal on November 5, 2009 against Chris Osgood of the Detroit Red Wings. On April 22, 2010 Couture scored his first two playoff goals against the Colorado Avalanche in game 5 of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Couture was also an integral component of the success of the 2009-10 AHL Worcester Sharks as he played 42 games scoring 20 goals and 33 assists for 53 points. He also was a league-leader with 9 game winning goals and was named to the AHL all-rookie team. He was voted onto the AHL all-star starting line-up for AHL Team Canada, and finished the game with a goal and two assists as well as scoring a shoot-out goal.

He scored 4 goals in the recent playoff run, the saw the Sharks reach the semi-finals of the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs.


















Chris pointed out Couture to me, who I instantly recognized. After talking to my wife Corinna, and my friend Ernie (who joined us to meet Alomar), about possibly interviewing him for my blog...everyone said whynot, he seems approachable...so I did.

I went over to where he was, outside of the Hall, and introduced myself, and mentioned to him about my blog and such...and he said ok. As I was getting my pad & pen out...he mentioned that he liked my hat, and that he was a Buffalo Bills fan too!

I liked him instantly!

Autograph Questions With...Logan Couture

How old were you, the first time you signed an autograph?
LC; "Not too sure...I think I was in grade 8, when another student asked me!"













Who was the first person, that you asked for an autograph?
LC; "Jeremy Roenick."


















Who was the most recent person, that you asked for an autograph?
LC; "Dany Heatley, he gave me his game-used stick."











What's the 'coolest' thing you've ever autographed?
LC; "A jersey with my name on the back!"










What NHL city do you find is the toughest for autograph hounds?
LC; "Both Edmonton and Calgary."












If you could ask anyone, living or deceased, for an autograph...who would it be?
LC; "Wayne Gretzky."










There we have it! He was very approachable, and gave alot of thought into his answers. He even spoke about how 'hounds' followed him in taxi cabs for autographs in Alberta...he didn't like it too much! He also spoke of his 'game-used' stick collection, that also includes Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau, in addition to the Heatley signed gamer!

















Thanks to Chris, for taking the picture of Logan and I!

Thanks for the read!
Chris

PS; Two quick entries in a row!

2 comments:

  1. It should be noted that Logan was born in Guelph(!), but moved to London when he was 2.

    He told me such. ;-)

    We gotta whip up a banner ad for your site bud, so I can link my sites to it. Loving this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try to get a picture taken with Tito Santana...he would love you Chris....Arrrriba!!!!!

    ReplyDelete