Sunday, April 11, 2010

The China Wall

This is a entry about the most respected Toronto Maple Leaf of all time, in my opinion, Mr. Johnny Bower.

The China Wall

I saw on Aj's Sportsworld's website that they were going to have Johnny Bower in for an autograph signing. I immediately decided that I would go. There were many reasons for my quick decision to attend.

I always felt he was the greatest Leafs goalie, and that he was the most accessible Maple Leaf from the last Cup winning team. He also does a massive amount of charity work, and that he always has time for kids hockey. Those are just a few of the reasons why I respect the 85 year old Hall of Fame legend.


















I figured this would a perfect time to land his autograph on my Hockey Hall of Fame 16x20 photograph. And considering the $15 price that AJ's was asking, I knew this was a great chance to land Bower, again.

I've met Bower a few times, over my 17 year hobby of collecting autographs. I've had him sign a Leafs puck, 8x10, a 11x14 photo of him with Jean Beliveau, and most recently a 8x10 of him with Gordie 'Mr. Hockey' Howe.














Each and everytime, he was super-friendly and extremely courteous. He's always talking about the Leafs, and asking what people think of how they're doing. He's a real treat to talk with, and recieve an autograph from!

Bower usually signs once every month or two in the Greater Toronto Area, as I personally believe, this is his primary source of income nowadays. But, I'm sure he's doing well...as he always has a large line-up of fans waiting for him! It's to the point now, I'm sure, that every autograph collector in Ontario has his autograph...and probably would like another from this Hall of Famer!

His career landed him in the Hall of Fame in 1976, after 25 pro seasons, winning 2 Vezina trophies, a first team All-star selection, 3 Calder Cups (AHL's championship), and 4 Stanley Cups.

















His number '1' hangs from the Air Canada Centre, where the Maple Leafs honoured his time and play with the 'Blue and White'.


















He also served Canada in the second World War, serving from 1940 to 1943.

After discussing the signing with my wife, Corinna, we agreed to check out Bower's signing at AJ's and the local Ikea, conviently located nearby! Hey, she's got to get some shopping time in too!

We arrived at AJ's about 30 minutes early, and after purchasing our ticket, we were about 20th in line. A couple minutes later 2 collector friends of mine, Bill and Ryan, arrived...both armed with Hall of Fame 16x20 photos! Ryan has around the same amount of autographs on his 16x20, as I do. Bill, however, was seeking his very first autograph on his newest project. He mentioned that he regretted not starting this project earlier in the hockey season, but he was happy that Bower would be the first to sign it. Bill, ever the good guy, gave me an 8x10 of my favourite Guelph Storm graduate and NHLer, Ryan Callahan. I hope to see Cally this June, and have this awesome picture signed. Thanks again, Bill!















After chatting hockey with my friends, and wife (she is a hockey fan too!), Mr. Bower made his entrance. He looked very good for 85, as a former goalie that Bobby Hull shot his incredible slapshot at, with no mask!














The line went along very smoothly, as it usually always does at AJ's Sportsworld events, and soon it was my time with the 2 time Vezina trophy winner. Corinna stood to Bower's left, armed with our camera.














I approached 254 game winning goaltender, and said; "Hello Mr. Bower, how are you?" as I pulled the 16x20 photo of the Hall from it's protective sleeve. "I'm good, nice to see you" Johnny Bower replied. "Would you mind signing this in blue, for me?" I asked. "Sure" The China Wall answered, as he picked up the blue Sharpie to his right.





























He signed the bottom right corner of my picture, adding his famous "#1" (representing his honoured Toronto Maple Leaf number) and his "HOF 76" induction inscription. It looked great!














I asked if would be okay, if I could get a photo with him, and both Mr. Bower and AJ's representative, Vito, said sure. I sat beside Toronto's last Stanley Cup winning goalie, and he leaned towards me as Corinna took our picture together. I was incredibly pleased with the event!















I shook Johnny Bower's hand, which swallowed my hand!, and thanked him for his time. He smiled and said thanks as well.

Both Bill and Ryan were up next, and asked Corinna to take their photos too, with the legendary Leaf. Bill had Mr. Bower sign across the Hall's logo plate on his brand new project. I'm not too sure where Ryan had Mr. Bower sign his, though.














Like I mentioned, both Bill and Ryan asked Corinna to take their pictures with Bower.


























After our time with Mr. Bower, we all chatted for awhile about past autograph experiences and a few other hockey topics outside AJ's, and also chatted about the upcoming Sports Card Expo and which Hall of Famers were appearing at the Spring time event. I'm sure I'll be writing an article about my time at the Expo in the next month or two!

All in all, it was a very good time...seeing a legendary Leaf, meeting up with friends, and spending time with my beautiful wife...whatelse could I ask for that day?

Until next time,
C

2 comments:

  1. It was a great day with friends & Mr. Bower. Great to see you & Corinna too, Chris, & fantastic blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog entry. I probably have about a dozen Bower autographs. I never get tired of getting his signature. Some players, all you need is one or two. But I keep finding cool photos of Bower that I want to get signed. I've had my photo taken with him as well. Very classy gentleman, probably along with Beliveau, the best around.

    ReplyDelete