Sunday, March 21, 2010

Can't Miss Prospects; Peter Holland

Welcome to the second in the on-going series of 'up and coming' hockey players..."Can't Miss Prospects". I hope you enjoy it.

Can't Miss Prospects; Peter Holland

Last June, the highest ranked prospect of the OHL's Guelph Storm, was drafted 15th overall by the Anaheim Ducks, of the NHL.

The Guelph Storm, my favourite OHL team, continues to send first round picks to the NHL. Nine total Storm graduates were drafted in the NHL's first round; Drew Doughty, Ryan Parent, Dan Paille, Dustin Brown, Thomas McCollum, Manny Maholtra, Jeff O'Neill, and Todd Bertuzzi.

The ninth player, is the focus of this blog entry; Peter Holland.


















When I watched Holland get drafted, on TSN, I figured I'd pick up his autograph during the upcoming season, either at training camp or (if he got returned to Guelph) during the regular OHL season.

One thing led to another, and I forgot about the 15th overall pick, being in Guelph.

Until last week.

When I saw that the Storm had made the playoffs again, I figured it was now or never.

Tickets were reduced for the first round of the OHL, to just $10 dollars, and I figured it was a sign!

Once Corinna and I agreed on seeing the Storm take on the rival London Knights, on Sunday, I decided to take a look at Holland's season, and his career to date.

Peter Holland originally was choosen by the Guelph Storm, 11th overall in the 2007 OHL draft. In his rookie season with the team in 2007-08, Holland appeared in 62 games, earning 23 points which placed him tenth in team scoring. He was named the Wellington Motors/Guelph Storm Franchise's Rookie of the Year Award winner following the 2007/08 season.

It was his 2nd season in Guelph, when things took off for Holland. Holland would be given more playing time, and he improved his numbers greatly, as he scored 28 goals and added 39 assists for 67 points, which was the second highest on the Storm. He was selected to play for the Western Conference All-Stars in the OHL All-Star Classic, and had two assists. He also appeared in the 2009 CHL Top Prospects Game, playing for Team Orr. When the Storm went to the playoffs, he scored 4 goals in 4 games.

This solid season, made him popular amongst NHL scouts, and led to him being a first round prospect heading into the 2009 NHL draft in Montreal. Central Scouting and The hockey News had him ranked to go in the 19th position. Which meant, if all the NHL teams followed these prospect rankings, the New York Rangers would select Holland with their 1st pick, 19th overall.

But things, in the NHL, hardly go as scripted.

The Anaheim Ducks, needing a power forward centreman of the future, used their 1st round pick to select Holland in the 15th spot.











The Rangers eventually selected a U.S. high school player, Chris Kreider.

This past fall, Holland got to go to the Ducks' training camp, and played with the Ducks in the NHL pre-season. After playing in 2 of the NHL's pre-season games, he was returned to Guelph for the 2009-10 season.

He took the move well, and had a excellent season.

Although he only appeared in 59 games, he acheived 80 points. 30 goals and 50 assists, helped Holland finish 2nd in team scoring, and 15th overall in league scoring.
















Very impressive for a 19 year old, who could return to the Storm for one more year, next season.

If he returns to the OHL for the 2010/11 season, and not the NHL or AHL, I'm predicting him to finish in the top 3 of OHL scoring.

When gameday came, we bought our tickets online that morning. We left home with a Anaheim Ducks puck that I picked up from Frozen Pond early that week. We arrived for the Storm/Knights game at the Sleeman centre early, and had lunch at the arena's restaurant.














During the warm-up, we took our seats for game 2 of the best-of-7 game series. The Guelph Storm and London Knights rivalry is truly massive in Canadian junior hockey. Fans of each team, travel to one-another's city to cheer on their team...every rivalry game. This rivalry, in my opinion, is the biggest in the province. There is a hatred between fans, and even the players. It reminds me alot, of the Maple Leafs and Habs rivalry.














During the warm-up skate, players were chirping at eachother! The referees had to stand on the centre-line to keep the players apart. The puck wasn't even dropped yet!

The game eventually started with the Knights jumping out early. It was incredibly hard-hitting, chippy, and tough hockey. Fights broke out, a rarity in the playoffs...but these 2 teams, just plain don't like eachother!

After 60 minutes...the Knights won game two, 4-3, and took a 2-0 lead in the series.

Corinna and I made our way down to the players exit, to meet Peter Holland. Many Knights players entered the lobby area, to meet family and fans, before boarding their team bus. Storm players also began to come out to greet the public. There were 4 or 5 collectors waiting for hot-prospect Nazem Kadri. The Toronto Maple Leafs 1st round pick, came out and signed everything for all the people who were waiting for him. Kadri, who was the game's 1st star, posed for pictures with fans, and signed countless autographs. I was glad to see this future Leaf dedicate so much time to these collectors. If you've read my previous blog entries, you'll know that I've met Kadri twice before, and had him sign 2 photos (1 of those for charity) and a hockey puck. He was great to deal with, both times.

After awhile, we figured that Holland must've left threw a different exit, so we decided to leave. As we walked away from the players exit, I spotted Peter Holland with some family (I presume), in the arena's staircase area.

This rare time, I spotted the player before Corinna! I mention this, because she has 'eagle eyes' when it comes to spotting players at a distance!

I mentioned to Corinna, not so quietly; "There he is!", then she got our camera ready, to document this autograph encounter.

When I went to approach Holland, in his family circle, I was beaten to the punch...by another collector!

This guy had alot of photos of Holland. he had his kids with him, that seemed to want to get them signed. I backed off, so then Corinna and I watched their encounter.

Holland began to sign for them, when a lady in his circle...I presume his mom, asked the guy where he got the photos of Holland? She was curious where he found draft photos of Holland, that large, without the Photofile (a photography company) watermark. He seemed a little suprised, and finally offered up that he got them from the internet. She wanted the images he found, for herself, and gave the guy her email, so hopefully he would send those particular images of the Ducks prospect to her. Holland signed everything for him and his kids, which I figured was around 5 pictures...of the same image, just in different sizes.














When his mom (I think!), was giving the collector her email, Holland noticed Corinna and I, so I lifted up my puck...gesturing that I'd like his autograph also. He smiled and came over to sign my puck.

I handed the 30 goal scorer my silver Sharpie, and congratulated him on becoming a Duck. He replied; "Thanks, would you like me to add my number?", as he put the Sharpie to the Ducks puck. I was kind of surprised by this...but I quickly realized what he meant...he was asking if I wanted his Guelph Storm number, because he didn't have a permanent Anaheim Ducks number, yet. I answered, believe it or not, quickly; "Yes, but would you mind adding 'Go Ducks!' also?". "No problem" Holland said, as he signed his incredibly cool autograph! I mentioned to him that I was a Ducks fan...which is true, but only 2nd to the Leafs though. I've always like JS Giguere and Ryan Getzlaf...that's why.

Anyways.

After he signed his name through the middle of the puck, he inscribed 'Go Ducks!' across the top of the puck...making it that even more special, for my collection.

















I thanked him for his autograph and his time, and then offered my hand in a final thanks. He shooked my hand...rather strongly, and that was it.


















Smiling, I looked at the puck and was excited in the final product! I showed Corinna, who said that it was extremely cool! She understands how special, and pretty rare, inscribed additions with an autograph are.

As we walked away, headed for the parking, I realized how great Guelph is...for collecting autographs!

And how great my wife is...for her patience, for my hobby.

Keep an eye for Peter Holland in the future, he's going to be good one.

Thanks for your time,
C.

PS- Have you voted? Please check out the poll, near the top-right of the page, for one of the next blog entries!

4 comments:

  1. Nice entry Chris.
    But as a former resident of London and a Knights season ticket holder. I have to tell you.....Go Knights Go !
    Hope to meet up with you on the autograph trail someday soon. Sorry I couldn't help you with the Roberts yesterday
    Ken 03/22/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, been waiting for your latest entry! That puck is SUPER-COOL, Chris, great addition to the collection.
    And again, you're a very lucky man to have such a patient & understanding wife in Corinna. Congrats man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Chris! I really wish my gf was as understanding as your wife when it comes to autographs! Peter Holland was one of the prospects I missed this year.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your posts and stories so much. It's reverse for me! I am the gf who loves getting autographs..the bf, well not so much! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete